You have your Instagram account set up but no followers yet? This post will help you to generate growth on Instagram organically and through advertising.
Instagram organic growth hacks
The first step is to connect and link your Instagram account with your other social media accounts. To do so, please log into your Instagram application on your phone and go to your profile page.
- Click on the 3 little dots (…) at the top right-hand corner of your profile page.
2. On the ‘options’ page, scroll down the options’ list and tap on ‘Linked Accounts‘ under ‘Settings‘.
3. Select one of the following social networks where you would like to invite your friends to follow you on Instagram.
When you select a social network, take into consideration the type of audience you are targeting. For example, if you are targeting other Businesses, it will make more sense to link your Instagram account with Twitter and Tumblr. While, if you are targeting Consumers, you may want to link it to Facebook.
Keep in mind as well where your audience is located. For example, VKontakte and other social networks that are more specific to certain markets may not be suitable if your audience isn’t there. So, do a little bit of research beforehand.
4. You tap the social network you want to have Instagram linked to. Then, you will be prompted to ‘Authorise app‘ to connect your social media accounts. For Facebook authorising, please review the steps from my previous blog post.
Once you have followed these steps, Instagram will populate all your contacts in the selected networks.
5. To invite those contacts, go back to your ‘options‘ menu. Under the ‘Invite‘ section, tap on the relevant social network.
6. When you tap on Facebook, you will get this pop-up window. Click on ‘Continue‘.
7. Log into your Facebook account through the ‘Facebook App‘.
8. Confirm you authorise Instagram to be linked to Facebook by clicking ‘Authorise‘ or ‘Continue‘ if that’s the first time you are connecting the accounts.
9. You will be redirected to Instagram and your friends’ list will be auto-populated. Click on the ‘Invite’ button next to the person you want to invite.
Once you have linked your social media accounts, you may consider these other tips to grow your account organically.
As explained in my previous blog post about cross-marketing your business on both Facebook and Instagram, you need to have a Facebook fan page set up, in order to advertise on Instagram.
Link Instagram to Facebook Advertising Account
- Now that your Facebook fan page is now set up, you will need to log into your personal Facebook account to access it. You will need to click on this downward arrow.
2. Then select your page under ‘Business Manager‘.
3. Then, to add your Instagram account on your Facebook page for advertising purposes, please click on this setting button on your fan page.
4. Under ‘Business Settings‘, select ‘Instagram accounts‘. Then, click on ‘Add’.
6. You are then prompted to type your Instagram account login credentials. Once done, click on ‘Next‘.
7. After typing in your login credentials, select the Facebook advertising account to link them together by clicking in the box next to it. Then click on ‘Next ‘ and ‘Done‘.
8. Your accounts are now linked for advertising purposes.
Facebook Advertising Payment Method Set Up
As you probably know, no advertising is possible without payment. So, your next stop is setting up your payment method. It’s a very straightforward step!
- Go to the ‘Payment’ section of the ‘Business Settings’ and click on the ‘Add‘ button.
2. You will get this pop-up window, where to fill in your bank account details and select the currency you want to use for advertising fees. Click on ‘Continue’ and submit your inputs.
ADVERTISING from your Facebook fan page to both Facebook and Instagram
So, here, the way it works is that you will advertise, promote one of your Facebook fan page posts, videos, pictures to both Facebook and Instagram. But don’t worry, you don’t need a big budget to advertise on these networks!
- Go back to your Facebook fan page by clicking on this flag and selecting your fan page name.
2. Then, scroll down to whatever post, video or picture you want to boost, promote. Then click on the ‘Boost’ button just below your post/video/picture.
3. You will get a pop-up window with the ad information you will set up. First, set up your objective.
Your objective will differ depending on the type of post you are trying to boost and what you want to track. For example, if it’s just a video, you will have the option to view the number of watchers, the length of video watch.
The post I selected is a link to one of my blog posts from my website. To get other options than tracking website visits, click on ‘Change‘.
4. Select the ‘objective‘ you want to track. In the case of a blog post, these are the two options available. Then click on ‘Save‘.
5. The second part requires you to think about and select the action you want your ad viewers/readers to take once they come across it.
6. To select the action you want, click on the downward arrow next to ‘No Button’.
7. The third part is related to the audience selection for your ad.
If your Facebook fan page is very recent and doesn’t have too many followers, invite first your friends from your personal page by clicking on the 3 little dots (…) and ‘Invite Friends’ on your main Facebook fan page.
8. If you don’t have many contacts on Facebook or they aren’t your fans, then I would recommend you to select a wider audience by selecting ‘People you choose through targeting‘. You can ‘edit‘ your audience by age, gender, location, interests, behaviours, job. Even once your ad is running, you can still modify it.
9. If you had previously done an ad, Facebook will keep these settings. But you can always edit them. If you want to remove a location or interest, highlight or click on it, then you will see a little cross appearing on the right-hand side. Click on it. Always make sure that your audience is defined and not too wide.
10. In ‘Locations‘, you can either choose to target a city or a country. Try not to target the whole earth! Instead, think about where you’d like your posts to be shown and where your audience is.
For your own city, it will select the whole city. If you want to select a city outside of your own, you will get the option to select the radius range you want your post to be advertised to. Click on the downward arrow next to kms and swipe to left or right to decrease or increase the range.
11. At the bottom of this page, under the map, you can add more criteria for your ad, such as Interests, Behaviours, Demographics.
For that, type in what you want your post to show up for. You will get a dropdown list of existing interests. Select the most relevant one to your ad.Then click on ‘Save‘ at the very bottom of the page.
Once you have selected the ‘Interests’ or ‘Behaviours’ or ‘Demographics’, you will see how many potential fans you can reach. You just need to point your mouse cursor towards the word(s) added to see that. Don’t be fooled, if you select a low budget, you won’t get that many new fans or clicks!
You can also choose ‘Interests’, ‘Demographics’ and ‘Behaviours’ within the Facebook Ads mobile app, which I recommend you to use due to its simplicity. More on this towards the end of this post.
12. Then, you are back to the main ad page, where you will tick the box next to ‘Run promotion on Instagram‘ as advertising option as well as set up your budget and duration for your ad campaign.
The budget starts at 1 Euro per day and can be increased during the campaign if you wish. Click inside the budget field and type the amount you want to put in.
Click on the ‘Duration’ you want, ie ‘1 Day’, ‘7 Days’ or ’17 Days’.
13. You can then review how your ad appears on desktop, mobile and Instagram. Once you are happy with your ad, click on ‘Boost‘ down the bottom right-hand side corner.
14. Facebook will review your ad. It takes about 15-20 minutes. If your ad violates their policy, they will take it down and notify you about it.
Please note that if your ad contains too much text in the picture, you will get this notification in the ad campaign even before boosting your post/video/picture.
15. You aren’t happy with your ad or your ad isn’t performing as well as you’d like. You can still modify your ad while it’s running.
For this step, there are two options: the Desktop Facebook version or the Facebook Ads mobile application. The mobile app is, to my view, easier to use tp go more granular in your target audiences by selecting Interests, Behaviours, Demographics.
- Desktop Facebook Ads version:
Go back to your main Facebook fan page. Then click on ‘Promotions‘ in the menu. It will bring you to all your active, deleted or completed ads. There, you will be able to modify your ad.
Alternatively, go back to your post/video/picture you boosted and click on ‘Boost‘. You will be back to the ad campaign and be able to modify it.
- Facebook Ads mobile version:
First, you will need to download the application from your Google Play Store or your Apple App Store. This is how the App looks like.
Once you have downloaded it and logged into it, you will have the option to ‘Edit‘ your completed or active ads after tapping on the ad you want to modify.
Then, you will tap on the ‘Audience‘ to get the different choices of Interests, Demographics and Behaviours.
Then, you will see the options to target further your audience:
Here are the different options under:
- Interests. Tap on the relevant interest to see what options you have.
- Demographics. Tap on the relevant demographics to see what options you have.
- Behaviours. Tap on the relevant behaviours to see what options you have.
Here you go! You are now done with your first ad on Facebook and Instagram! Any questions?